I find that the fibs I tell in parenting come in three sections. The bog standard 'worldwide' fib, the 'never gonna happen' fib and the 'good god why the hell did I say that?' fib that I instantly regret. So behold my little white lies of parenting...
This man? Is real!The Bog Standard 'Worldwide' Fib
- Father Christmas exists.
- The Easter Bunny exists.
- The Tooth Fairy exists.
- The characters in In The Night Garden Live are real. (And yes that is a zip. Didn't you know Igglgpiggle always had a zip on his back?)
- The Disney Princesses in Disneyland are real. (Yes I know that Elsa doesn't really look like that but she's tired today!)
The 'Never Gonna Happen' Fib
- If you run away again I won't chase after you! (Of course I will as I don't wish to be arreseted for neglect).
- Fine then. I am just going to leave you lying on the floor! (Looks around Asda shiftily to see if anyone may steal you).
- If you keep this up? There will be no birthday or Christmas presents! (Of course there will be. What kind of monster Mother do you think I am?).
- If you don't stop being mean you will NOT be going to that party on Saturday (You could technically stab me in the face and you will most definitely still be going to the party as it's the only time I stand the chance of hot tea and a piece of cake).
- I am going to phone up your Daddy! (This is not going to happen as he would laugh when I said you kept shouting "BOOBIES" at your sister).
The 'Good God Why The Hell Did I Say That?' Fib
- If you keep touching your privates your fingers will smell of fish.
- If you hit your brother one more time your arm will fall off. Then what will you do?
- This is not chocolate. This is special 'Mummy' medicine. Mmmmm medicine for? My nails?
- I've got your pre-school teacher on the phone! She says she's not happy with you! No you can't speak to her. She's gone now to do mmmm other teacher things.
- One more tantrum and I am going to make a little house in the garden where you shall live with NO TV!
- No you can't watch Peppa. She ran away. Daddy Pig has go to go and find her. Yes. He is a bit sad about it. No she's not in our garden. I'm sure she's not in our park. Oh look she's back! (Damn).
If you are a parent that survives on not fibbing to your child ever so often you totally win at parenting hands down. I admire you. But I? Have to tell the odd white lie ever so often. Just to keep me sane and try and win the battle ever so often. And is that a new top you have on? It really suits you!